Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Non-Academic Education

All my education I have ever received has been taught with a nonacademic/ progressive type to style.  Learning how things relate to the current world around you rather than reciting subject matter from a book helps a great deal in forming a well rounded education.  Learning things that don't relate in some way to your current life is useless in my eyes, but unfortunately it is what most schools teach.  I am confident that the style in which i am being taught is going to give me a good foundation for dealing with things and shaping my ideas in the future.  What does sometime make me nervous though is that because I have really only been taught in this style what happens when I have to go to college, and perhaps they do not conform to what I am used to.  The rest of the world is very behind in this idea of nonacademic education because they teach to test not for the sake of letting their students actually learn.  I am really bad at purely educational all from the book type of informational tests, like the SAT.  Even though I have learned how to get around taking them, and can come up with a decent score now it has been hard for me in the past.  I think this probably has to do with the fact that I never was taught to think in that way, or learn in that style.  

No comments: