Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Do we NEED to go to school??..

Of course I think that receiving an education is important and a necessity in life, but I do think that could be taught in many other ways then the conventional schooling system that we have established.  For the most part I think that University does a pretty okay job at keeping the topics and learning interesting yet educational, which strays away from boredom.  But, many other schools students are simply spitting back facts that really have no connection to actual life, so with that aspect schools should be reformed not removed all together.  I do think that school takes up a ridiculous amount of life, and a lot of that time I spend working on school work that the second I turn it leaves my head.  I'm sure most students would agree with me that school has become less about actually learning things and more about grades.  I work hard at school for the grades.  Sometimes school can get very repetitive because I view it as work work work, good grade, work work work, good grade.  This is a dangerous cycle because I can get a hundred on a History test or on a vocab test, and then a week later I could easily fail the same test.  I retain info for the test, but I don't actually learn it.  This usually just applies to classes that information comes from a text book, not classes that revolve around ideas like English because then I am forced to think of my own thoughts, which teaches me the real information.  So, for most schooling, yes, I would agree that we don't really need to go to school to receive a proper education because the majority of the time I don't think I'm learning rather than spitting out useless facts that I forget days later. 

No comments: