Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trust

So I noticed that a theme of my weekend was trust...or more like the lack of it.  What has always frustrated me is how many parents think that the harder they push down strict behavior, and do not trust their children the more likely they are to rebel.  I'm lucky because my parents understand this quite well, but because I am a teenager I see all types of parents disciplining my friends.  I also get to see the other side that most parents don't because I hear the thoughts of their kids on the matter and the real effects that some disciplines have.  So, I believe that people need to give out more trust.  I am not saying that punishment for doing something wrong is bad, but there comes a point when it gets to be over the top.  When this happens it goes from a learning experience to wanting to do the exact opposite of what your parents are telling you.  I can't count the times when I have been with friends they said that they want to be good because their parents trusted them to come and didn't make a big deal of it.  I also can't count the times where I have heard "I don't understand why they don't trust me, I have never done anything bad...maybe I will just give them something real to not trust me about if thats what kind of person they think I am." I mean it just seems common sense to me that if you give trust then most of the time you are going be respected out of it, but a lot of parents don't see it that way.  I don't get why. 

No comments: